Freckles are small, flat, and pigmented skin blemishes that often appear as clusters of tan, brown, or slightly reddish spots on the skin’s surface. They are typically more common in fair-skinned individuals and are caused by the uneven distribution of melanin, the pigment responsible for skin, hair, and eye colour. Freckles are generally harmless and are not associated with any underlying health conditions. They can vary in size and colour, and their appearance is often influenced by genetics and sun exposure. Freckles are most frequently found on areas of the skin that are regularly exposed to the sun, such as the face, arms, shoulders, and neck.
Causes of Freckles
● Genetics: The propensity to develop freckles can be hereditary, meaning they often run in families.
● Sun Exposure: Freckles are primarily caused by exposure to the sun’s UVB rays, which stimulate melanocytes to produce excess melanin in localised areas.
● Fair Skin: People with fair or light skin are more susceptible to freckles due to their lower melanin levels, which provide less natural protection against UV radiation.
● Hormonal Changes: Some individuals may notice an increase in freckles during hormonal changes, such as pregnancy or puberty.
Signs of Freckles
● Small, flat, and round or oval-shaped pigmented spots on the skin.
● Typically tan, brown, or reddish in colour.
● Clustered in areas regularly exposed to the sun, like the face, arms, and shoulders.
● More common in fair-skinned individuals.
● Freckles may darken with increased sun exposure and fade during the winter months.
Treatment for Freckles at Dr. Haror's Wellness
At Dr. Haror’s Wellness, we offer effective treatments to address freckles and help you achieve a more even and blemish-free complexion. Our treatments are designed to be safe, non-invasive, and tailored to your specific needs. Some of the treatment options available include:
Laser Therapy: Our state-of-the-art laser technology can target and break down excess melanin in freckles, resulting in a gradual lightening of these pigmented spots.
Chemical Peels: Chemical peels can exfoliate the top layer of skin, reducing the appearance of freckles and promoting a smoother complexion.
Consultation and Customized Plans: Dr. Haror’s Wellness provides personalised consultations to determine the most suitable treatment plan for your unique skin type, freckle characteristics, and aesthetic goals. The right skincare routine helps keep freckles at bay and delay their formation.