Telangiectasias or Spider Veins are damaged blood vessels that are visible just beneath the skin surface. They usually appear blue, red, or purple in colour. They look like spider webs are can form anywhere on the body, but mainly on the face and legs.
They are usually harmless, but treatments can be considered for cosmetic reasons.
Understanding Spider Veins
They are not dangerous. They simply denote damage to small blood vessels, capillaries, or arterioles, and are more of a cosmetic concern. These blood vessels connect with larger vessels as a part of the circulatory system. In certain rare cases, spider veins are an early sign of CVI (Chronic Venous Insufficiency) which is a vein disease that can lead to complications and affect the quality of life.
Causes of Spider Veins
Spider veins form just under the skin upon weakening and expansion of small blood vessels. The cause of the same can vary a lot, some of them are Hormonal Changes, Genetic Syndromes, Injury or Trauma, and connective tissue diseases. People with certain concerns are at high risk of developing spider veins. Some of them are-
• Often sit or stand for longer durations
• Are Obese with a BMI >30
• Are pregnant
• Using birth control pills(hormonal pills)
• Outside in the sun for longer durations
Treatments for Spider Veins
1. Sclerotherapy: This is a minimally invasive treatment. Certain medicines are injected into the spider veins directly to close it off.
2. Laser Therapy: This is a noninvasive option that can be used for both face and legs. Laser therapy uses heat energy to destroy spider veins. Successive sessions are needed to see gradual improvements at an interval of 1 month.
Spider veins treatment provides a range of advantages, both in terms of aesthetics and health. First and foremost, these treatments can enhance the appearance of the Spiders by reducing the visibility of unsightly spider veins and varicose veins, thus boosting self-esteem and confidence.
It is always advisable to consult your dermatologist who can diagnose and help you better with the right treatment plan.
Tips to Prevent Spider Veins
1. Avoid standing or sitting for too long
2. Do not wear tight clothing
3. Do regular exercise
4. Flex your ankles and feet
5. Elevate your legs
6. Keep a healthy weight and do regular exercise.